Headed to Michigan!!!...|
2 Full-Day Image-Making Workshops @ the Brand New Shatterbake Studios, in Grand Rapids, MI
Lead by LA-Based Photographer and Filmmaker Brink Ability (Patrick Dinkfeld)
or to the Facebook Event Page for this event!
with Special Modeling appearances by Onikaa
Sat. March 2nd... Noon - 8pm
"Creative & Simple Video-Making and Cinematography for Photographers"
We will get right down to business and cover ideas and methods for making beautiful videos of model, in a manageable and interesting way. We will demystify the medium, and get right to capturing motion! Whether you are interested in shooting commercials, music videos, or just some behind-the-scenes footage... we will cover techniques that will get you up and running immediately.
This workshop will mostly be my tips and tricks for actually making videos. There is often a little mental and motivational hurdle artists experience making the jump to shooting video... I'm going to cover simple, and manageable concepts and techniques for planning, shooting, and editing cool videos of models. Basically, I've got a serious "just DO it!" streak running through me right now. SO, I'm going to share my perspectives, and then we're all going to make videos!
Sun. March 3rd... Noon - 8pm
"Getting More Creativity out of Your Photography & Post Production Techniques"
We will cover a wide range of topics in this workshop, revealing as many of Brink Ability's (Patrick's) tips, tricks, and techniques as we can reveal with a single day! Concepting, models, casting, lighting, posing, composition, AND post production! It's going to be a whirlwind of image-making! And, we will be doing a LOT of shooting! Patrick will be shooting for demonstration, as well as walking around offering input and tips while you shoot. (Ask for advice, or tell him to mind his own business... either way, if you are shooting, you're golden!)
This workshop will be similar to the video workshop in the sense that I intend to get everyone shooting and learning through trial and error. AND... I will be able to share even more specific versions of my personal techniques, tricks, tips, and ideas on making still images!
Mainly, I will be talking a little bit, then giving demos; both regarding my style and techniques. Then, we will all grab some models and start shooting. While everyone is shooting, I will be coming around and discussing with each photographer, and answering questions while they shoot.
On one hand, I don't intend to build an army of shooters just like me. On the other hand, the best thing I can share with all of you are things that are unique to me. lol So, it will be a balance of general tips that I love, as well as any specific techniques any of you desire to know about.
Take what you love, dismiss what you think is lame. lol
Over all, we WILL be doing a lot of shooting, but I hope that the class part of the day will be more idea-oriented. I hope to inspire everyone to "go big" consider making photos that they do not regularly make. Getting everyone outside of their comfort-zone would be ideal for growing as artists! But, I will be satisfied if everyone makes some good pics, and has a good time networking in the new space.
Current Model Line-Up...
Video Workshop - MARCH 2nd:
Hayley Ann Bishop
Gypsy Harper - (video workshop only)
Photo Workshop - MARCH 3rd:
Hayley Ann Bishop
Kaylah Jane Hop - (photo workshop only)
Bek - (photo workshop only)
Rachel Harley Quinn - (photo workshop only)
Each Full-Day Workshop will include:
1. Instruction, demos, & lots of shooting!
2. Beautiful studio sets, props, & wardrobe galore!
3. A professional, creative, & FAST Hair & Makeup Artist!
4. Food, drinks, music, and MODELS!
1. We will have very limited "in-house" photo lighting, so all photographers are encouraged to bring their own lighting equipment. If you have questions about this, please feel free to contact Patrick below.
2. We have even less "video lighting" equipment. So, if any participating videographers have their own continuous lighting, it is also recommended that you bring that as well.
3. Bring you camera gear. This is TOTALLY a shooting and making art kind of workshop! lol
Camera, batteries, memory cards, etc...
Definitely lights if you have them. (The studio is absolutely NOT prepared to light 10 simultaneous shoots. lol)
And any wardrobe you specifically hope to shoot.
4. If you are attending the video workshop, you WILL need a camera that takes video. Though, if you have a really current iPhone 4s or 5... Patrick is absolutely prepared to show you how to make that little device work in a pinch!
5. Part of my agreement with every model, is that they will receive finished images from everyone they shoot with during the workshop. So, I am informing and reminding all the photographers that they are expected to deliver a reasonable amount of images to every model they shoot while at the workshop.
6. If you don't have the time to retouch and prepare these images in a timely manner, I am volunteering to do the editing on any images, to facilitate the happy end result of happy models. lol
7. Either way, I suggest you offer at least 1-2 images per look, and that you let the model have at least a little say in picking the images she wants. These women are all contributing a LOT of their time to be an amazing collection of beauty for us all weekend, and I desperately want them to get the creative satisfaction out of it that they deserve.
8. Some of the models will be doing artistic nude work. Some will not. That is up to each model. But, you should be aware that nudity will likely be happening at some point in some part of the studio. If you have questions about this aspect, please email me.
9. I am asking the models to bring clothing, but we will also have extra things here at Shatterbake. So if you have wardrobe in mind, bring it. But, know that we will have plenty to dress the women in.
The schedule will be something like this:
12pm - Everyone arrives, loads in gear, mingles a bit. Then, I welcome everyone, go over all of this, and give a quick tour of the studio. Introduce the models.
1pm - We'll start with a quick general talk about me, my style, my techniques, and then start a quick demo shoot.
2pm - By 2pm, I hope to pair everyone up with a model, and send you all off to shoot in the space.
3pm - I want to keep the shoots short and sweet. I want to switch models often, and keep everyone on their toes.
4pm - At 4pm we'll take a break, eat, everyone and truly mingle and network.
5pm - I'll give a second demo, and then send you all off to shoot again.
6pm - More shooting.
7pm - I'll start a Photoshop . post-production demo for anyone that is interested. Those who do not care, can continue shooting.
8pm - By 8pm, the workshop is officially over.
A. The schedule is tight. Please be respectful to all models and fellow photographers. This workshop is about learning, experimenting, and trying new things with your art. If you want a long period of time with a certain model, please get their contact info, and book them for a personal shoot on your own time.
B. My demos will be short and sweet, and not very technical. I am not a very technical shooter, I am more of a conceptual creative shooter. But, if you have additional technical questions, I will be happy to answer such things throughout the workshop. But, let;s try to keep them grouped during the demos, or food-breaks.
C. The times I send everyone off to shoot, I will actually be coming around and interacting with all the photographers while you shoot. Like a coach, I'll simply be answering questions and giving unsolicited tips on aspects of shooting models that have helped me. Take it or leave it. lol
D. Basically, I will be telling you guys everything I know and do and think about this art-form. Then, we're all going to shoot at the same time in the same place, so we can learn from DOING, not just listening.
THE COSTS... per attending photographer...
$95 for the Video Workshop.
$125 for the Photo Workshop.
OR $170 to attend BOTH days!
A single class deposit is $50. The two-day deposit is $100.
Both payable through PayPal or Credit Card. If you are paying your deposit through Paypal... my PayPal email address is: email@example.com
(Please be certain to mark your PayPal payment as "personal," otherwise I pay a fee on the transaction.)
The balance of the payment is due the day of the event. Payable by PayPal, Credit-card, or cash. To book and reserve your spot, (or to ask questions...) please email Patrick.